Pages

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Is God calling?

Last week, our pastor gave a sermon on the third commandment: "You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain."
He gave alot of reasons how we can take God's name "in vain", but one of the ones that stuck out to me was this:

We can take God's name in vain by using it as an excuse.

So we can be going on a mission trip to gain the glory for ourselves, but we say "God called me to do this." You can get into an argument and in order to get out of it, you can say "I felt God was telling me to do this." There are SO many ways that we can use God as an excuse. So many ways that we can just "casually" throw His glorious and holy and worthy name into conversation. We use our Savior as an excuse. We use His name flippantly.

So when we say that God is calling us to do something for His glory, are we really meaning what we say? Do we really think God is calling us for a greater purpose? What is it He really has planned?
This has been something I've been learning... I feel very often, especially after prayer, a tug to do something for the Lord. But I have, I'll admit, and still can get so caught up in working that I forget that it is all for HIM. It is all for the glory of my Savior... every breath. Every movement, every new day is from Christ.

So, when we feel or when we say that God is calling, let's make sure that He IS. And let's make sure that we do all for the glory of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment